I grew up listening to oldies and Derek is convinced I know the words to any song that comes on the radio, even though it’s not really true. One of the most fun artists to sing along with growing up was Jim Croce, in part because of his often hilarious lyrics. Because I can’t get the song “Rapid Roy (That Stock Car Boy)” out of my head right now, here’s a list of a few of my favorite Jim Croce lyrics. If you don’t know some of these songs, check them out on YouTube.
- “He got a tattoo on his arm that say ‘Baby.’ He got another one that just say ‘Hey.’ And every Sunday afternoon he is a dirt track demon in a ’57 Chevrolet.” From “Rapid Roy (That Stock Car Boy)”
- “Every time the time was right all the words just came out wrong, so I had to say I love you in a song.” From “I had to Say I Love You in a Song”
- “She was built like a ‘frigerator with a head.” From “Roller Derby Queen”
- “They wouldn’t listen to the fact that I was a genius; the man said ‘We got all that we can use.’ So I got them standard and depressin’, low down mind messin’ workin’ at the car wash blues.” From “Workin’ at the Car Wash Blues”
- “And when the cuttin’ was done the only part that wasn’t bloody was the soles of the big man’s feet.” From “You Don’t Mess Around with Jim”
Have y’all seen X-Men: Days of Future Past? The scene with Jim Croce’s “Time in a Bottle” is awesome!